Water saving Australia
Australia is the driest continent and some areas are experiencing water restrictions or serious water shortages. Water restrictions and hosing prohipition are nearly a daily experience. Local governments try steer water usage with adverts and behavioural advices. People are of course a little bit tired of this and not so much receptable. The subsidized bore and rain water tanks are already a success. But there are more options.
Water is wasted on an everyday basis, just because bad practices and old technique remain. The easiest and most restrictive way to make people aware of water amounts would be to not lay water pipes into houses or flats but urge people to carry it in buckets from public hydrants or story wide water taps.
However, it is possible to save another whole heap of wather just by using better technology, without restriction of quality. Follow these suggestions:
- Forbid sale of top loader washing machines. They shall just be allowed to buy via special application. European style washing machines wash better, less destroying in cloths, cleaner and they use much less water. Germany doesn't sell top loaders at all.
- Engage a policy to use water sieves in every tab. Water sieves (perlator) make the water beam more convenient and save water.
- Engage a policy to use water mixers instead of bare tabs. Mixers are easier to regulate and you can switch it on and off without loosing your favorite temperature.
- Require new laid water pipes in houses to be isolated. People waste a whole bunch of water just waiting for it to become warm. If pipes are isolated, they preserve the water temerature for several days.
- Requite thicker water pipes in newly estated buildings. Thinn pipes cause more pressure influence between water tabs. People are wasting lots of water because the temperature does not fit. If several people act on water tabs, they regulate against each other their water temperature. Thicker pipes are of course water wasting if not isolated.
- Force even more use of bore water and rain water tanks.
- Teach people via adverts how to correctly wash the dishes. Not holding the dishes under the running water beam but using the plug and some hot water in the sink. This is more convenient, easier, makes cleaner (cause soaks in) and it saves water.
- Replace street cleaning vehicles using preasure water with different ones. There exist street cleaning vehicles that use brushes, vacuum and little water to clean the ways. They are more efficient in terms of energy and water usage and as a by-effect make even cleaner.
- Don't allow business like Noodle Box to waste water the whole day, even in Perth.
- Engage a policy for differen shower heads. The most common spreader is not water saving but rather wasting. There are much better variants. Look at Germany.
the flushing mechanism of public toilettes. Many of them are leaking and not yet half flush capable. Pisoirs are often flushing in invervals regardless of wheter it is necessary or not. A little piece of med-tech (detector) can save hundrets of liters a day.
- Promote dish washers to people. Modern dish washers are really efficient in terms of water usage.
- Produce and show educational videos on how to correctly wash the dishes. It is makes showder how few people are capable of washing the dishes correctly. The majority strongly beliefs that they get the dishes clean only under flowing water. They waste a lot of water, unnecesary soap and energy (hot water). Whilst filling the sink with detergent and hot water and soaking the dishes in is easier, cleans better, goes faster and preserves water and energy.
- Use bore water for irrigation and otherwise forbid it.